Share the love
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 10
- Cooking: 10
- Ready: 20
This meat free take on a traditional Korean dish, Bulgogi ‘Beef’, was served to Paul McCartney and team on tour in South Korea.
- 500 g fake beef tips – Fry’s (UK), Gardein (USA) or similar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sake
- black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soybean paste (use the Korean product ‘doenjang’, or otherwise the Japanese product ‘miso’)
- 2 teaspoons red pepper paste
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- handful toasted sesame seeds
Warm the soy sauce, garlic, sugar, sake, pepper, soybean paste and red pepper paste together, allowing the sugar to melt. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Fast fry the beef tips in the oil, and pour in the sauce and the spring onions.
Scatter over the toasted sesame seeds and serve with white rice and green beans.
This Bulgogi ‘Beef’, from EYHO, was served to Paul McCartney and his team on the ‘Out There’ tour: Seoul, South Korea, 2 May, 2015. Recipe courtesy of EYHO.