Share the love
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 10
- Cooking: 25
- Ready: 35
This tasty curry from The Small Planet Vegetarian Cookbook makes great use of spices.
- 2 aubergines, quartered and then sliced finely lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- ¼-½ green chilli, de-seeded and sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- seeds from 3 cardamoms, crushed
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick, or ½ teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro/coriander, chopped
In a wok or large pan, heat up the oil and when it is hot quickly sauté the aubergines. Stir them round and when they are brown and soft, remove from the pan, place on kitchen towel to drain and cool.
Now, using the same oil (adding more if required), fry the spring onions for a few seconds.
When these are beginning to soften, put in the garlic, chilli and ginger, frying everything together for 1 minute while you stir.
Then add the cumin, cardamom, fennel seeds, cinnamon, and curry powder. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes before pouring on the coconut milk. Season with salt and then return the aubergines and cook gently for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
This recipe comes from The Small Planet Vegetarian Cookbook by Troth Wells (New Internationalist, £20).