Mac Daddy Taco Platter
Share the love
- Serves: 6
- Preparation: 15
- Cooking: 30
- Ready: 45
A creamy bowl of emotionally satisfying fond memories – veganised and delish!
For the mac and cheese
- 1 large white onion, diced and steam sautéed until translucent
- 1 cup/200 g raw cashews, soaked in water for couple hours then drained
- 3 cups/750 ml unsweetened soya milk
- 18 cloves garlic, boiled until soft
- ½ cup/120 ml white wine
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons red or white miso
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, optional (for colour)
- 400 g macaroni
For the taco platter
- 8-12 fresh tortillas (3-4 inch)
- 2 cups/500 ml mac and cheez
- smoked hot sauce powder (or cayenne and smoked paprika mixed)
- sriracha sauce
- ¼ head red cabbage, shredded
- 8-12 fresh basil leaves
To make the mac and cheese
Dice and steam sauté the onion with a splash or two of water or wine, no oil is needed, no need to bother with the extra empty calories.
Add warm onions and rest of ingredients to high-powered blender.
Blend all ingredients for couple minutes making sure mixture is wicked smooth.
Add about half of the sauce to the drained hot pasta and mix well.
To make the taco platter
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
Warm the tortillas and fill each compartment in the cast iron pan.
Spoon the mac and cheese into each tortilla mould.
Sprinkle the tops with powdered hot sauce and sriracha.
Bake at 177ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4 for 15 minutes.
Remove and add more sriracha as desired, topping with the cabbage shreds and basil.
Recipe courtesy of Wicked Healthy, for Veganuary
Image © Derek Sarno
Find more great-tasting recipes on the Veganuary and Wicked Healthy websites!
“What’s more comfort food-esc than a great Mac and Cheese? Not much!
We’ve taken this creamy bowl of emotionally satisfying fond memories to a whole new level of guilt free, oil free, dairy free (can totally be gluten free too) while still maintaining its integrity and making sure above all it remained wicked delish!”