Vegan Fish Fry
Share the love
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 10
- Cooking: 15
- Ready: 25
A show-stopping plant-based dish with a taste of the sea in every bite!
For the tofu
- 2 lbs/900 g extra firm tofu, cut in half, then cut into triangles
For the marinade
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth/ stock
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup (30 g) dulse flakes
- 1 lemon, fried
For the black and tan beer batter
- 3 cups (450 g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (150 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) light ale
- 1 cup (240 ml) dark brown lager
- panko crumbs
Marinate the tofu “fish” wedges for at least 8 hours.
Dredge the marinated tofu in the batter and panko crumbs, then fry in 180°C/350°F degree oil until crisp and browned.
Serve with vegan tartar sauce and a side of grilled corn on the cob.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jon Clemons, The Porch
Facebook: The Porch Restaurant and Bar