Portobello Steak ‘n’ Kidney Bean Pie
Share the love
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 20
- Cooking: 55
- Ready: 75
A vegan version of the British classic steak and kidney pie that definitely will not disappoint.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract or miso paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree (paste)
- 300 g/10 oz portobello
- mushrooms, chopped into thick chunks
- 200 g/7 oz mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake or chestnut (cremini), sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- 350 ml/12 fl oz (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 g/14 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 320 g/11 oz sheets of vegan puff pastry
- aquafaba or unsweetened dairy free milk, for brushing
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the balsamic vinegar, yeast extract or miso paste, tomato puree and mushrooms and cook for a further 8 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour on top and stir to incorporate. Add the stock and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until you have a gravy-like mixture. Remove from the heat, stir in the beans and allow to cool completely.
Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7.
Divide the filling into four individual pie dishes. Brush the edges of the dishes with a little aquafaba or milk.
Slice both pastry sheets in half and use a half to top each pie dish, crimping the edges to seal and scoring the tops with a sharp knife. Brush the tops with some more aquafaba or milk and bake for 30 minutes, until puffed and golden on top. Serve immediately.
Recipe taken from Great British Vegan by Aimee Ryan of Wallflower Kitchen. (White Lion Publishing)
Facebook: Wallflower Kitchen
YouTube: Wallflower Kitchen
“A vegan version of the British classic steak and kidney pie that definitely will not disappoint. This is one of my favourite recipes to win over meat-eaters.”