Best known for building homes on DIY SOS, or testing general knowledge on Who Dares Wins, Nick Knowles has now turned his hand to nutrition and wellbeing following his life-changing BBC2 series The Retreat.
In 2015, Nick was feeling unhealthy, out of shape and on the verge of burning out. Determined to change his lifestyle, he travelled to Thailand with a camera crew and fellow DIY SOS stars Billy Byrne and Julian Perryman for a detox, involving a week-long fast followed by a purely vegan diet. The results? He lost 9 kilos in 3 weeks, his cholesterol fell by a third and his blood pressure dropped to a healthy level.
A year on, Nick eats a vegan or vegetarian diet, with the odd day off, and is slimmer, healthier and fitter than ever. He says: “I’m 6’2” and 16 stone: I’m a big unit. I need hearty meals, not thin weedy plates and I often work outside in cold and wet conditions – a salad won’t cut it – so here’s a vegan and vegetarian cookbook for meat eaters full of hearty, filling, healthy recipes. Why feel bad about the cake you have with your coffee at elevenses when you can have a healthy raw chocolate cake? Why skimp in winter when you can have a thick hearty chestnut and vegetable stew and dumplings? And if I can do it – then you can do it.”
Get a taster of the cookbook by trying out recipes for Spicy Ramen with Tofu and Sesame, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Nachos with Green Chilli Salsa and Braised Vegetarian Sausage All-in-One with Cherry Tomatoes, Cannellini Beans and Cider, shared on the Meat Free Monday website courtesy of Nick Knowles and BBC Books.
For your chance to win a copy of Proper Healthy Food, simply complete the form below. The prize draw closes at midnight (GMT) on Friday 10 February, 2017.
THIS PRIZE DRAW IS NOW CLOSED.
Congratulations to the winners R. Kahn, A. Jarvis, N. Gray, E. Burgess and D. Clarke.
[gravityform id=”26″ title=”false” description=”false”]
*Terms and conditions
– You are entering a competition to win one of five copies of Proper Healthy Food by Nick Knowles published by BBC Books.
– These prizes cannot be exchanged for any other prizes or cash.
– Only one entry per person permitted.
– Automated entries will not be accepted.
– The prize draw closes at midnight (GMT) on Friday 10 February, 2017.
– Five winners will be chosen from a random draw of entries received, to be performed by a random computer process. Each winner will receive one copy of Proper Healthy Food.
– The winners will be notified within five working days of the close of the prize draw via email.
– Each prize will be posted to the chosen winners by BBC Books using a standard untracked service to the postage address inserted above.
– This prize draw will be governed by English law and entrants to this prize draw submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
– Meat Free Monday shall use and take care of any personal information you supply to us.
– Promoter: Meat Free Monday Limited of 1 Soho Square, London W1D 3BQ.
– Meat Free Monday shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations relating to this prize draw where such failure is caused by something outside of Meat Free Monday’s reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, without limitation, fire, acts of terrorism, weather conditions, flood, strike actions or other such industrial disturbances or disputes, acts of war, hostilities, political unrest, riots or civil disobedience or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.