Share the love
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 25
- Cooking: 20
- Ready: 45
This ‘one pot’ Vegetarian Kedgeree recipe is ideal for brunch or a light dinner.
- 200 g basmati rice
- 190 g lentils
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped finely and de-seeded if preferred
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 potato, diced into small cubes
- 1 carrot, diced into small cubes
- 3/4 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 100 g fine beans, cut into 3 cm pieces
- 100 g frozen peas
- ½ head of broccoli, cut into medium sized florets
- ½ bunch coriander, washed and chopped
- black pepper
To prepare the kedgeree, rinse and soak the rice and lentils together in an ample amount of water for 10 minutes.
In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the cumin seeds and lightly fry for 30 seconds. Add the garlic, ensuring the heat is low, and fry until golden brown.
Add the green chilli and peppercorns to the pan and stir. Increase the flame, add the diced potato and carrot and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the turmeric and a little salt to taste, and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Strain the rice and lentils and add to the pan. Pour 6 cups of hot water over. Once the mixture starts to simmer, cover the pan, lower the heat and cook gently until all the water has been soaked in.
Add the beans, broccoli, peas and coriander to the pan. Combine well and simmer for a further 5 minutes before removing from the heat.
Flavour the kedgeree with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Great British Chefs. Visit their site for more delicious vegan recipes.