Supreme Crispy Quinoa Vegetable Burgers
Share the love
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 10
- Cooking: 25
- Ready: 35
Featuring quinoa and beans for both flavour and protein, these veggie burgers are supremely satisfying.
- ¼ cup (45 g) quinoa, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (120 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (172 g) organic canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions
- ½ cup (45 g) peeled and finely chopped carrots
- ¼ cup (25 g) plain breadcrumbs
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons hot water)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 multigrain hamburger buns
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced (optional)
- your favourite burger toppings for serving
Combine the quinoa and vegetable broth in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, set aside and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mash the beans with a potato masher, making sure to leave a few chunks. Add the scallions, carrots, breadcrumbs, garlic, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of pepper and mix well. Add the cooked quinoa and the flax egg and combine. Using your hands, form the mixture into four individual patties and place on a platter.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Reduce the heat to medium, place the patties in the pan, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip and brown the other sides, about 5 minutes more.
Assemble the burgers and buns on a platter. Top with slices of avocado, if desired, and serve with your favourite toppings.
This recipe comes to us from Meatless Monday in the US and is by Corky, Lori, Dana and Tracy Pollan, authors of The Pollan Family Table and appears in the book’s Meatless Monday chapter.