Chilli Non Carne
Share the love
- Serves: 4-6
- Preparation: 10
- Cooking: 30
- Ready: 40
This warming meat free chilli is easy to throw together using mostly store cupboard ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ courgette, chopped
- ½ red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 225 g veggie mince (e.g. Linda McCartney Foods ‘Vegemince’)
- 2 x 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder (or more according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 x 400 g tin cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
Fry the onion and red pepper in the oil until soft (about 10 minutes).
Add the garlic and courgette and cook for a few minutes.
Add the veggie mince, spices and half the tinned tomatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the remainder of tinned tomatoes as well as the tomato purée, stir well and simmer for 10 minutes over a low heat. Add a little water to each of the empty tomato tins, shake and add this to the mixture too, so that all juice is used and the chilli is not too dry.
Add the kidney beans to the chilli and cook for a few more minutes.
Sprinkle some coriander or parsley on top and serve with rice or fresh crusty bread.