Butternut Squash, Chickpea and Spinach Curry
Share the love
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 10
- Cooking: 35
- Ready: 45
This curry is delicious, and makes you feel good for packing away so much veg in one meal.
- 1 butternut squash, 6-8 inches high, peeled and diced with seeds scooped out
- 200 g spinach
- 1 400 g tin chickpeas
- 1 400 g tin tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- thumb size amount of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- a handful of chopped fresh coriander
- half a lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- salt and pepper
Grind the coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a pestle and mortar.
Fry the onion until soft over a medium heat in olive oil.
Add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Add the ground seeds.
Add the butternut squash and coat in the ingredients in the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the tomatoes and coconut milk, and cook for 10-15 minutes on low heat until the squash is soft.
Drain the chickpeas and add to the sauce. Add the spinach.
When the spinach is wilted and the chickpeas are warmed through, add the coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice. The lemon juice lifts the flavour nicely.
Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with rice and/or flatbreads.