Beet and Fennel Gazpacho
Share the love
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 15
- Ready: 15
A light flavoursome soup to enjoy on a hot day.
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) beets (beetroot), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and diced
- 2 scallions (spring onions), sliced, 1 tablespoon reserved for garnish
- 1 small hot chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 100 ml (3½ oz) stale bread
- 3 tablespoons chopped wild fennel or fennel fronds
In a food processor, combine the beets (beetroot), cucumbers, scallions (spring onions), chilli, olive oil, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and 300 ml (1¼ cups) cold water, then process until smooth and homogeneous. Break the stale bread into small pieces and add them to the food processor. Process for 2 to 3 minutes, until well combined.
Pour the gazpacho into four bowls, add a few ice cubes to each, and serve garnished with the reserved scallions and the fennel.
The Vegetarian Silver Spoon by The Silver Spoon Kitchen is published by Phaidon, £35 (phaidon.com)
“Gazpacho di barbabietola al finocchietto”
“If you can’t find raw beets, you can use pre-cooked, steamed beets instead. To soften the strong taste of the scallions, soak in cold water for 10 minutes before use. Remember that gazpacho is always served cold.”