Turkish Tofu and Spinach Börek
Share the love
- Serves: 6
- Preparation: 15
- Cooking: 45
- Ready: 60
Layers of crumbly, cheesy tofu and spinach sandwiched between crisp, buttery filo pastry form a plant-based version of this traditional Turkish dish.
- 6 sheets filo pastry, cut in half and left out of the fridge for ten minutes
- 100 g (3.5 oz) fresh spinach
For the tofu layer
- 400 g (14 oz) tofu, drained and crumbled
- 20 g (¾ oz) fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50 g (1¾ oz) dairy-free margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
Mix the tofu layer ingredients together thoroughly.
Grease a large oven-proof dish with a thin coating of the melted dairy-free margarine.
Add the first sheet of filo pastry, followed by a coat of margarine. Repeat with three more filo sheets.
Cover the filo pastry evenly with half of the spinach, followed by half of the tofu mix.
Repeat the previous two steps to add the next layer.
Add a final layer of filo sheets, being sure to coat the top layer with plenty of the melted dairy-free margarine.
Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes or until the pastry has turned golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Natalie Tamara
Natalie is the creator of The Tofu Diaries – a mix of food, travel, photography and living a cruelty-free lifestyle.
Facebook: The Tofu Diaries
Pinterest: The Tofu Diaries