Miso-Glazed Eggplant with Spicy Chickpeas and Ninja Nuts
Share the love
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 20
- Cooking: 25
- Ready: 45
This easy and simple dish is exploding with fiery flavour and vibrant colour.
For the eggplant
- 2 eggplants, sliced in half and scored
- 2 cups/100 g fresh chickpeas, cooked, tossed with 1 teaspoon chilli flakes and ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of course salt
- ¼ cup/50 g candied-salted buts, karate chopped
- ¼ cup/50 g green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chilli peppers, thinly sliced
For the glaze
- ½ cup/120 ml sake
- 2 tablespoons chickpea miso
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass, chopped
Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas mark 6.
Score eggplants across the surface in both directions.
Blend glaze ingredients together until smooth. Apply glaze to eggplants, making sure it gets in between the cracks of the score lines and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
Top with the chickpeas that were tossed with the chilli and paprika. Add a pinch of salt.
Bake for 25 minutes, basting with the glaze halfway through cooking time and again once they come out of the oven.
Top with the chopped nuts, green onions and chilli peppers. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Wicked Healthy, for Veganuary
Imagery © Derek Sarno
Find more great-tasting recipes on the Veganuary and Wicked Healthy website.
“Eggplants, aka Aubergine in the UK, halved and doused in a miso-turmeric glaze, then topped with wicked spicy chickpeas and karate-chopped ninja nuts … this one’s on fire and we love to feel the burn!”